courtesy of Beth Frischmuth,
Realtor® specializing in
McMinnville real estate.
AMcMinnville has much to offer families considering a move, including a wide variety of attractions, fine public and private schools, and good employment opportunities.
As a military wife, my husband and I traveled the world during twenty years in the Air Force and lived in more than 14 cities and towns. Without a doubt, McMinnville is my favorite of all places we have ever lived! It is ideal because of its small town friendliness, proximity to Portland, Salem and the coast. Our thriving, historic community offers a variety of employment opportunities, entertainment options, schools both public and private, and medical and retirement facilities. Some of the major highlights are:
Major Companies in McMinnville
- Evergreen International Aviation is based in McMinnville and is one of our major employers. There are numerous subsidiaries that operate under the Evergreen name but the most exciting for our community are the Evergreen Spruce Goose Museum, Evergreen Space Museum, Evergreen IMAX Theatre and the Evergreen Water Park which is expected to open the summer of 2011. Learn more about the incredible campus of Evergreen Museums.
- McMinnville Water and Light is our publicly owned utility company and in comparison is able to provide electricity and water to our residents cheaper than all other utility companies throughout the state of Oregon. The value offered through our utility company is reliability and value. Mac Water and Light is on the job 24/7 when there are outages. They generally are able to respond to emergencies within 20 minutes because they are local.
- Oregon Mutual Insurance
Theaters in McMinnville
- The Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum IMAX Theatre is located on Hwy. 18 and is the largest IMAX theatre in the northwest. Six stories tall and seven stories wide, “this cinematic wonder offers a viewing experience that won’t easily be forgotten.”
- Coming Attractions Theater located on Hwy. 18 across from the medical center is a multi screen theater which offers “stadium seating, plush seats and arm rests and the entire staff is dedicated to customer satisfaction.”
- The Moonlight Theatre located at 433 NE 3rd St. at the 3rd Street Pizza Company offers a movie, pizza, beer and other beverages and all served by a friendly staff. 503-434-9515.
- The Gallery Theater which attracts and showcases local talent of all ages is located in historic downtown. Its mission is to operate an outstanding community theater and cultural center and enhance the quality of life through performing arts.
- Michelbook Country Club is a private 18 hole golf course centered in the heart of McMinnville where the genuine care of members and guests is their highest mission. In addition to the scenic Par 72 golf course, Michelbook offers a driving range, full dining room and lounge facilities, a fitness facility and private golf cart storage.
- The Bayou Golf Course which opened in 1964 is a Regulation 9 hole and a Par 3 Course. In addition to the course, The Bayou offers a Southern style Mansion which sits on a small bluff overlooking the golf course and offers a unique atmosphere for weddings, receptions and special events. Avid golfers are also likely to want to invest in the famous skytrak golf simulator so they can keep practicing from the comfort of their own homes during the winter months, so you’ll be pleased to know that we have plenty of homes in our Michigan inventory that have the space you need for this too.
Offering a variety of choices in both public and private education, McMinnville schools provide instruction from preschool through college. From Montessori to Linfield College opportunities abound for students of all ages.
- MACA and EASA are several unique programs offered by McMinnville High School. The Media Arts Communications Academy (MACA) focuses on technology and project-based learning. The Engineering & Aerospace Science Academy (EASA) at Evergreen Aviation Museum offers hands on learning with community partners in engineering and aerospace science.
- McMinnville Private Schools are scattered throughout town and offer a variety of choices from preschool to 12th grade.
- The International Community School (ICS) is a co-educational private day school comprised of community and international students and is dedicated to the advancement of cultural awareness.
- Linfield College, based in McMinnville offers a comprehensive undergraduate program featuring a broad liberal arts core.
- Chemeketa Community College offers a two year program for those interested in an associate degree. It also offers many noncredit personal enrichment courses.
Retirement Communities in McMinnville
Making plans for your retirement is a process that we all must complete at some point. Not sure where to begin? Once your finances are in order, you might want to take some time finalising your living arrangements, whether that be moving into a san francisco assisted living facility, or elsewhere. There are some wonderful retirement communities out there, so if you prefer living among like minded individuals of a similar age, then doing some research into accommodation options like Spring Harbor can help make your decision a little easier. Why not check out their website for some inspiration here: https://www.springharborlife.org/. Ultimately, if you intend on living out your golden years within a retirement community, then read on for our pick of some more highly popular accommodation choices. Depending on your needs, there is sure to be something to suit your own unique lifestyle.
- FirCrest Community located on Fircrest Drive offers studio and one bedroom apartments, assisted living and Alzheimer’s care.
- At Hillside Retirement Community, located on Hill Road, residents are able to have active and independent lifestyles with the reassurance of access to a lifetime of health care benefits including long term care if ever needed.
- Oakwood Country Place located on S. Evans Street is a nursing home specializing in health care for the elderly.
- Parkland Seniors’ Community located on Cumulus Ave, NE, offers a continuum of accommodations for seniors including cottages and assisted living suites.
- Rock of Ages located on SW Rock of Ages Road is owned and operated by the Bible Mennonite Fellowship and is a licensed residential care facility.
- Villas of McMinnville offers independent living and personal care options for seniors. Located on NE 27th Street next to Wynwood of McMinnville, their sister facility, a full continuum of retirement, assisted living and memory care are available.
- Vineyard Heights, located on SE Hill Road and formally called Osprey Point offers both assisted living apartments and independent living retirement cottages.
- Wynwood of McMinnville, located adjacent to Villas of McMinnville on NE 27th Street, provides personalized assisted living and Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care options for seniors.
McMinnville Senior Center
In addition to retirement facilities, the McMinnville Senior Center serves the needs of our senior population through recreational opportunities and leisure pursuits. In addition, a variety of classes are offered from Yoga to computer instruction as well as travel opportunities. On-site noontime meals are available as well as meals-on-wheels for housebound seniors.
- WOW (Western Oregon Waste) offers curbside pick-up of trash and recycling and strives to find ways of keeping our communities and environment neat and clean.
- Restore, McMinnville’s Area Habitat for Humanity is located on SE 1st Street. Their mission is “to serve through the re-sale of building materials, home furnishings and other goods while offering recycling opportunities for their customers, donors and environment.”
- New to You located on 99W offers the ultimate in re-sale shopping and consignment and claims to be the best and largest in the northwest.