Sherwood real estate specialist.
Location Utopia[dropcap character=”S” color=”blue”]Sherwood, Oregon is a lovely city located a short 15 to 20 minutes from the I-5 corridor and the Roy Rodgers Road Expressway. One of my favorite things about selling properties in Sherwood is showing families its easy location to many different employers while still being able to live in this charming, small town community.
There is a fantastically easy commute from Sherwood for anyone working from Portland, on down the I-5 corridor to Tigard, Tualatin, Lake Oswego, Wilsonville, Keizer and all the way to Salem. The construction of Roy Rodgers Rd also added ease of commute to Beaverton. With its direct connection to 170th Ave, the commute to Aloha and Hillsboro has become very reasonable from this area as well.
It is safe to say that employment in all of these areas such as Nike, Intel, Xerox, Mentor Graphics, Lazy Boy Furniture, Tektronix, Sysco, and so many more employers, is easily reached within 30 to 45 minutes with some slow downs during rush hour traffic times. But not much! Sherwood also provides reasonable commute time to the North and Southwest sides of Yamhill County. Not only is commuting to work from Sherwood easy, but many of these commutes wind through rural, farmland areas with awe-inspiring views, rolling hills and valleys that make us fall in love with this area. Few towns can boast this ease of location for employment commuting throughout the Portland Metro area along with the serenity of a lovely countryside commute.
On top of this, if you want to learn more aout installing a swimming pool, build your own treehouse, re-landscape your front yard, or add an extension to your home, it is much easier to get permission to do all this in Sherwood than a lot of other places. However you want to change your home, you won’t need to jump through endless hoops to make them!
|Sherwood Population||16,640||Distance to Portland||9 mi|
|Year Incorporated||1893||Elementary Schools
Community & School District Growth
Like many areas in Washington County and Yamhill County, Sherwood had some very large growing years in the 1990’s. I lived in Sherwood for several years when my daughter (now 27 years old) was in grade school and middle school. At that time, the population was about 8,000 with Hopkins Elementary, Sherwood Middle School, and Sherwood High School making up the school district. Archer Glen Elementary was just being built when we moved.
There are now four elementary schools (J. Clyde Hopkins, Middleton, Archer Glen, Edy Ridge), two middle schools (Sherwood Middle School, Laurel Ridge), and one high school, Sherwood High School, in the Sherwood School District. Each elementary school holds around 600 students, Sherwood Middle School has about 1000, and the high school has an enrollment of approximately 1300. The Sherwood community has continued to focus on quality of education and keeping facilities available to accommodate this growth. I encourage you to research the school district and discover the different programs that each school has to offer to understand the best fit for your children’s needs.
Even with this steady growth, Sherwood was ranked 18th in the top places to live in the nation in 2007. I believe the reason for this acclaim is the city’s steadfast commitment to maintaining the quality of the community in tact. The community has been a significant force behind keeping and growing community events, Old Town charm, Wetlands preservation, and support for family health and activities.
Parks, Attractions & The Best of Sherwood
There are plentiful choices in Sherwood for family and kid energy burning activities:
- Sherwood houses 9 city parks. Of these, one of my favorites is Stella Olsen Park. This is a 22 acre park of which 10 acres is wetlands preservation, www.raindrops2refuge.org. There is also plenty of room with a shelter and play equipment for the children in other areas of the park in a natural setting. The wetlands preserve has wooden paths and viewing platforms which gives many opportunities to view the natural activity of wildlife without disturbance. Stella Olsen also is home for Music on the Green on Wednesdays in July and August.
- The Sherwood YMCA is an athletic organization complimented with a full size swimming pool and water-slide, in addition to other opportunities for exercise.
- The Sherwood Ice Area
- Safari Sam’s is the ultimate jungle gym, arcade, and miniature golf. My kids have spent many hours there and Mom has had a chance to relax! Great for birthdays too.
- Meander through historic Old Town Sherwood, located between 1st and Railroad Streets and Pine and Washington Streets, is home to antique and gift shops, galleries and historic buildings.
- If you are just in town for a short time, be sure to stop in at the charming Clancy’s Pub and Restaurant, located in Old Town. You’ll enjoy Roses for their heart-stopping, mouth-watering, delectable desserts.
- Sherwood is home to more than 20 wonderful churches. My personal favorite and my advice to you, on any Sunday (any other day!), is to do yourself a favor and attend the Mountain Home Road United Methodist Church service. This quaint, steepled church, in a lovely country setting has the most beautiful stained glass windows and all the charm of yesteryear. This humble church sits quietly at 23905 SW Wunderli Canyon Rd, Sherwood and was the marriage site of Rena and Mitch Herring.
Annual Community Events in Sherwood, Oregon
Some of Sherwood’s community events include:
- Cruisin Sherwood is an event that has truly taken on a life of it’s own and is by far Sherwood’s largest event. This event now attracts over 20,000 visitors! And displays 550 custom, electric, trucks, hotrods, and military vehicles. Not only is this a day of family activities, it is a great sponsorship opportunity as well for anyone promoting their business.
- The Robin Hood Festival
- The Onion Festival, second Saturday in October
- Local Newspaper: Sherwood Gazette
- City of Sherwood
- Sherwood School District
- Sherwood Chamber of Commerce
For the moment, I will wrap up my discussion on Sherwood but you can see what a vibrant community this is and why it is considered a premiere community for quality of life living. I will continue to keep my eye open for wonderful new adventures in Sherwood – and there are many. Feel free to contact me at any time with questions you may have. Thank you and have a great visit!
[stylebox color=”blue” textcolor=”#ffffff”]Contact Sherwood Realtor® Rena Herring at 503-793-2594 to learn more about real estate in Sherwood and throughout Oregon’s Washington County and Yamhill County.[/stylebox][space10]