Gaston real estate specialist.
G Gaston is small town America in a phenomenal location! Yamhill County, with more vineyards and wineries than anywhere else in Oregon, is deserving of the moniker ‘Oregon’s Wine Country’, our mini Napa. Just north of Gaston is our counterpart to the Silicon Valley, the ‘Silicon Forest.’ From Forest Grove east to Beaverton is the home of a great many technology companies. South from Forest Grove, Hwy 47 connects the Silicon Forest to Wine Country. Gaston is the first town and it straddles the Washington/Yamhill County line. ‘Silicon Forest’ people often choose Gaston for rural living, among other places like North Plains, Scholls, and Bald Peak.
The town of Gaston is small but its rural setting is gorgeous with widely varied landscapes. The Chehalem Ridge is on the east and includes Laurelwood and Bald Peak with all its luxury and view properties. The Coast Range lies to the west and includes Cherry Grove, the Patton and Scroggins valleys, and Hagg Lake, a recreational playground is just northwest of town. Sitting on the fertile valley floor in between is Gaston, one of a dozen Yamhill County towns. Gaston is just 2/10 of a square mile; about 5 blocks along Hwy 47 and about 8 blocks wide. The town’s population of less than 700 people is 10 times larger than its first recorded census in 1860. For surprisingly great information about the area, check out the Volunteer Fire District’s website! http://gastonfire.org/?q=node/18.
Gaston Features & Growth
- The crossroads of Oregon’s technology center and rural living: Property prices remain among the most attractive in the area, but range to the very expensive luxury levels. Location is always the key to buying well and my opinion is that the future is very bright for this crossroads of technology and wine, of rural and small town America, of valley and mountain, farming and wildlife.
- Wineries: There are few but budding signs that Gaston will take advantage of the agri-tourism opportunities especially related to wine. In rural Gaston there are a handful of wineries; one of the oldest and highly respected is Elk Cove Vineyards www.elkcove.com. Others include www.kramerwine.com, www.adeawine.com, www.pattonvalley.com, www.thegrandcruestates.com, and www.plumhillwine.com. Look for more wine development in the future.
- Henry Haag Lake: One of the popular geographic features of the area is Haag Lake. Created by a dam, this area is owned by the Federal Government but includes a park managed by Washington County with boating, fishing, picnicking and hiking. For more information about this recreation area see: http://www.co.washington.or.us/Support_Services/Facilities/Parks/Hagglake/index.cfm
- Schools: Gaston has retained its own independent school district since then including all grades through High School. Currently there are almost 500 students in the district http://www.gaston.k12.or.us.
- For more about Gaston see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaston,_Oregon)
The town was named after Joseph Gaston, a railroad developer who brought the tracks and also opened Gaston’s first school in 1870. The community added a post office and its first church in 1873. Joseph Gaston also drained the Wapato Lake next to Gaston to create the farmland around this community. The early 20th century saw the addition of a lumber mill, a bank, a mercantile, a high school, and other businesses.
We can help you buy or sell Gaston real estate
Buying or selling Gaston real estate requires knowledge of the wide variety of rural property types and understanding of how the small towns fit the panorama of great things happening in this part of metropolitan Portland. We are glad to provide you with more information to assist you to buy or to sell. Our tag line is our commitment: Buy. Sell. Be Happy.
Contact Realtor® Randy McCreith at 503-310-9147 to learn more about real estate in Gaston, Oregon and real estate throughout Yamhill County.
Gaston Oregon Listings | Current Homes for Sale
[idx-listings city=”Gaston” statuses=”1″ propertytypes=”148,150,151,149,146,147,145,174,175″ orderby=”DateAdded” orderdir=”DESC” count=”100″ showlargerphotos=”true”]